Wednesday, April 8, 2009

"What is faith?"

"Faith is believing in what you can't see and listening to what you can't hear"

Would you believe me if I said a twelve-year old said that? I know, it blew my mind too. I know some pretty amazing kids in my church.
And this one-I hang with her often. She's like a little sister almost. I just ran back to look in my won Friends book and see what I had written on that lesson of Battle Stations on Faith as a 12 yr old.
Not nearly as good- "believing in something, having trust".
Knowing the kids I know-it's hard for me to know and remember I was the smart one when I was their age.

The thing-as good as my own relationship with God may be-as blessed as I am with opportunities and the things god tells me-my faith is in crisis a lot.
I am visual. I need to do, see, hear things-I wouldv'e been disciple number one had I been born in the time Jesus was on earth.
But I'm not, so I have to remind myself a lot of the very few times I've seen and heard miraculous things.
And lately it's from kids.
I love it. It breaks my heart but I love it-They have such faith.
but it breaks my heart to know I had that kind of faith and lost it as I grew up-and I was one of those kids who grew up and matured faster-who could tell you the answer but not why or how I got it-I just knew.
That's always been me.

Maybe that's why kids like me. I let them be kids-I want them to be kids as much as they can. Yes things like maturity and responsibility are all that adult stuff are good but...it's tiring.
I wish I could be a kid again.
I wish I had that faith again.

No comments:

Post a Comment