Friday, May 14, 2010

Family history is so interesting. So personal.

Currently: getting sidetracked from my homework.

So. I have to write this art paper.
I have to research my family background and where and what culture it came from.
(This is art class so I get to relate the cultures art to it.)
but I cant go off of "Well..we think we're related to this person and I vaquely know i came from here".
No.
I have to go off concrete stuff.

I got lucky with my dad's side. Someone in the family ages ago made this huge history going back 9 generations to this couple who lived in Alsace.
Thats right. Im french. (My dad would fight this. It *was* Germany at the time)
Its such an interesting history.
You have this couple in Alsace in 1736 and then there son and his family migrates to Russia.
Two generations later, the Heintz's are in North Dakota farming.
There's even a small blip of them being in Canada. (EH.)
And then. Finally. In the 1920's, they settle in Oregon.
And stay there.

And my grandpa meets my grandma (who has a similar family history being German and living in Oregon and all) and he adopts my dad (my grandma was previously married) and then my dad comes to Cali and here I am.

I swear. Its all a lot more interesting with wars and such in the same timeline but its like..what if they hadnt moved certain places at certain times.
Where would I be?
Where would any of my family be.


My moms side is harder to know.
I know my grandparents were in Washington and that they themselves had very interesting lives and that if you go back enough generations we are somehow related to Mark Twain and the two Harrison Presidents.
Exactly how..no idea.

But still.

I know most of you wont care but I just found it so so interesting.
Our past makes us who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment